Wednesday 21 December 2011

Three Day Road


1)
The key scene in the book, in my opinion, is the one where Elijah eats human flesh, and tries to have Xavier eat it. This is because a key theme in the book is Elijah’s descent into madness, and Xavier’s growing alienation from him. I feel that this scene represents this, not because it is a point of no return, but because Xavier is forced to admit that Elijah will have to be killed. For Xavier, this is the turning point where he realises that Elijah has really gone too far. 

 2)
Page 310“ ‘Is it horse?’ I ask, pulling gristle from my mouth.
Elijah smiles his wicked little-boy smile. ‘No. It is human. German, to be exact’
I jump to my feet before I know that I do it and approach Elijah with balled fists. Then I find myself reaching for my knife. But what he has said makes me gag and I kneel and stick my finger down my throat. The contents of my stomach come out in a slimy glob.
‘X! Calm down!’ Elijah say. ‘I am only joking. What? Do you think I’m crazy? I was kidding. It’s just horsemeat.’
His forehead creases innocently and the gleam of the trickster is in his eyes. He pops some meat in his mouth and swallows. ”

 3)
One of the themes in this book is Elijah’s relationship with Xavier. At first, they are comrades, joining the army together. Then, Xavier becomes jealous of Elijah’s recognition and alienated from what Elijah does. They become further separated, with Elijah plunging further into darkness and Xavier feeling more and more isolated. This scene is a prime example of this isolation, with Elijah doing terrible things in front of Xavier, and even trying to trick him into eating it. This scene is a prime example of “Elijah’s transformation into a windigo”.

No comments:

Post a Comment